From: Meino.Cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beast / BSE
Date: Fri, 04 Dec 2015 17:44:25
1 Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com> [15-12-04 03:32]:
2 > On 12/03/2015 09:53 AM, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
3 > > Hi,
4 > >
5 > > Beast BSE is a soft syntesizer for (beside others) Linux.
6 > >
7 > > The application ( https://testbit.eu/wiki/Beast_Home ) needs
8 > > to be compiled from source and is not part of the portage.
9 > >
10 > > Since I had bad experience with portage overlays (they (read:I)
11 > > screwed up my system lately ... typical level 8 failure) I
12 > > want to avoid that.
13 > >
14 > > Unfortunately I came not farther than to the moment its configure
15 > > didn't show m the libpng and stopped doing its job.
16 > >
17 > > Is there any step by step tutorial how to compile this beast
18 > > on (Gentoo) Linux?
19 > > Or does someone get a compilation done successfully on Gentoo?
20 > > How?
21 >
22 > Well, it could be done outside portage but that's probably not a good idea.
23 >
24 > It is possible to write your own ebuild (which probably wouldn't be too
25 > difficult) but you'll still need to add a local overlay to drop your
26 > custom ebuilds in.
27 >
28 > I haven't done this in quite some time now, but that program looks
29 > interesting, now I want to try it myself! Tomorrow I'll look at it and
30 > see if I can get it working. I'm in North America though so keep the
31 > time difference in mind.
32 >
33 > I better get back to work now...
34 >
35 > Dan
38 Hi Dan,
39
40 (WARNING! I am no native english speaker! :)
41
42 Thank you very much for you interest in this problem.
43
44 I tried to compile the beast outside but regardless what I
45 was doing, it bests configure insists of not seeing libpng,
46 which definitely ist installed on my system.
47
48 Since you ar intested in the program (or: in this kind of programs?)
49 you may also take a look at zynaddsubfx...
50
51 Keep hacking! :)
52 Best regards,
53 Meino