From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gnucash won't start--PLEASE help
Date: Sun, 17 Feb 2008 15:17:07
1 At Sat, 16 Feb 2008 23:48:09 -0700 Joseph <syscon@×××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On 02/17/08 00:21, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
4 >>> The same way when I file a bug about new php-5.2.5_p20080206 when
5 >>> it came out. The bug was dismissed "closed" the same day I file
6 >>> it, week later the php was downgraded to current one php-5.2.5-r1
7 >>
8 >>In some sense the downgrade was the response to your bug. Of course
9 >>the bug report should not have been dismissed
10 >>
11 >>> I've been with Gentoo for over 4-years and I am getting tired of
12 >>> babysitting the system on the weekends. Maybe I'll try Debian
13 >>> stable. I need something that works.
14 >>
15 >>I hope you don't. By filing bugs when bugs do exist, you are
16 >>helping us all; even if you are not treated as you should be.
17 >>
18 >>Also your previous msg stating that you hit the same problem that I
19 >>did was comforting to me. Thanks for sending it.
20 >>
21 >>sincerely, allan
22 >
23 > I recompile / downgraded "libpcre" - didn't help; next I downgraded
24 > "guile-1.8.2" to "guile-1.6.8" (followed by revdep-rebild) so two
25 > packages were rebuild: dev-libs/g-wrap app-office/gnucash
26 >
27 > Now, gnucash is starting normally no more "segmentation errors" But
28 > I'm not sure if this is the solution since on my Gentoo backup
29 > gnucash is working OK with guile-1.8.2 Maybe I'll follow the advise
30 > of "jstead1" from his post:
31 > http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-601976-highlight-gnucash.html
32 >
33 > Another problem right now I have is that "udept" package command:
34 > dep -k "package_name" is not reporting installed packages correctly
35 > anymore. In addition when I re-emerged "php" I did not receive any
36 > email notification about this package. Next, I upgraded to kernel
37 > "linux-2.6.23-gentoo-r8" and my when I start or shutdown I get a
38 > blank screen.
39 >
40 > Going back to my rant, three years ago if somebody ask me about
41 > Linux I would recommend Gentoo to anybody it was relatively stable
42 > and easy to use; if somebody ask me about Gentoo a year ago I
43 > wouldn't say anything; if somebody ask me about Linux now I would
44 > recommend Ubuntu or Debian. The reason is that I upgrade every week
45 > and almost every second or third week something is broken, I have to
46 > hunt for fixes and solution and keep recompiling when my wife enjoy
47 > watching the TV; so right now Gentoo Linux is steeling time from my
48 > family - Linux stability with Gentoo gone!
49
50 Thanks for all your help. I have had less trouble than you.
51 I actually upgrade nearly every day. I was bitten by the big problem
52 (I forget the package) a few months ago and before that might have had
53 a year without trouble.
54
55 It does look as though this time the response to the bug was pretty
56 good. I will try the fix mentioned there
57
58 The following combination should work:
59 =dev-scheme/guile-1.8.2
60 =dev-libs/g-wrap-1.9.6-r3
61 =dev-scheme/slib-3.1.1-r1
62
63 Install in this order again. Then reemerge gnucash and report back.
64
65 and report back.
66
67 Once again, thanks for your help.