From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Restart agetty after update @world?
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2017 12:51:09
1 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 4:22 AM, Matthias Hanft <mh@×××××.de> wrote:
3 >> Dale wrote:
4 >>> I do it this way.
5 >>> pkill agetty
6 >>> Simple, quick and easy to remember. One could script it I guess???
7 >> I'm pretty sure this would work, but is there something which would
8 >> start them again? As far as I understand, these are the processes
9 >> that provide console login - correct? Normally, I log in using ssh
10 >> via network, but I would be a little upset if I couldn't log in at
11 >> the console any more...
12 >>
13 > Agetty is started by init, so it will be restarted if it dies.
14 > sysvinit does all of about 3 things in total, and this is one of them.
17 Correct. I should have mentioned that in my post but assumed it would
18 be known. Anytime agetty is killed, it just pops back up. I suspect it
19 doesn't stay dead for even a second. Sort of like those zombie movies.
20 lol
21
22 Dale
23