From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Resetting the root passwd
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2012 18:48:59
1 Ok, I did something really dumb...
2
3 I changed the root passwd for a system I manage last week, but neglected
4 to write it down, and now what I *thought* I had changed it to isn't
5 working... I know, I know, really *really* dumb, but that's where I am...
6
7 I know I can boot into Single User mode, remount the root partition
8 read/write, and edit /etc/shadow (removing the encrypted passwd), then
9 rest it using passwd, but...
10
11 Some of the accounts in /etc/shadow have a '*' where the encrypted
12 passwd would be, and some have a '!'... (ie, one is sshd:!:... and
13 another is halt:*:...)
14
15 Does it matter what I change it to? Should I use a *, !, or nothing at
16 all (so that there is *nothing* between the two :: that would normally
17 contain the encrypted passwd)?
18
19 Thanks...