From: antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Memory cards and deleting files.
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 18:25:21
1 On 22/06/2020 11:56, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jun 22, 2020 at 11:28:17AM +0100, Neil Bothwick wrote
3 >
4 >> The SD standard says >33G should use exFAT, this is why many devices
5 >> state they only support cards up to 32G. The really mean they only
6 >> support FAT. My Dashcam is like this but it happily works with a 128G
7 >> card, once I reformatted it with FAT.
8 > Warning; that still does not change the fact that each individual file
9 > cannot exceed 4G in size on regular FAT.
10 >
11 Warning 2: I did exactly that, and it LOOKED like it was working
12 happily, until it overflowed some internal limit and my 1G card turned
13 into a 128M card or whatever it was. Have you actually TESTED that card
14 IN THE DASHCAM and made sure it can actually use that 128G? Or will it
15 only be able to use 4G of that card?
16
17 Oh - and 32GB cards are physically different from 128GB cards because
18 they work to different standards. That's why so many of the old "real
19 SD" card devices only ever use up to 2GB. You CAN (or could) get 4GB SD
20 cards, but they were rare, so most people couldn't find them. The SD
21 standard was replaced by SDHC, which is why your fileformat changes at
22 32GB, which is the maximum capacity of an SDHC card. Above 32GB it's
23 SDXC, which is another reason why sticking a larger card into a device
24 which says "up to 32GB" is a bad idea - it may not be able to handle SDXC.
25
26 Cheers,
27 Wol