From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT]: Is that (filesystem-)logic vald?
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 18:47:52
1 James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> [14-05-13 05:12]:
2 > <meino.cramer <at> gmx.de> writes:
5 > > I have an embedded system with internal flash memory.
6 > > The internal flash memory contains some static files,
7 > > which are only be read and others, which get written
8 > > from time to time.
11 > Embedded systems vary wildly. If you can you need to be
12 > as specific as possilble on which embedded system, processor
13 > model, vendor, version etc.
14 >
15 > > The internal flash has a FAT32-formatted filesystem
16 > > and no real partiton (the device is directly fomratted
17 > > as so often with this kind of lash memories.
18 > > From time to time the software crashes while updateing
19 > > some files (writing to them) leaving a unclean filesystem
20 > > behind.
23 > > Often -- after fscking the filesystem -- files named
24 > > FSCK<number>.REC are left in the root of the filesystem.
25 >
26 > Have you sought out help from the vendor/manufacture?
27 >
28 > Can the embedded OS be updated and maintained?
29 >
30 > Can you install another, better supported embedded OS
31 > like openWRT
32 >
33 > https://openwrt.org/
34 >
35 > > Is it correct to assume, that only those files are
36 > > affected by correcting the filesysten which were written/updated
37 > > before or is there any chance, that other, only read files
38 > > are also affected?
39 >
40 > You've got to get really specific on the details of the embedded OS
41 > and such details.....
44 > hth,
45 > James
49 Hi,
50
51 The embedded system is a Sansa Clip ZIP mp3 player. The """OS""" is
52 rockbox (www.rockbox.org).
53
54 I think I cannot expect help from the manufacturer as the manufacturer
55 will not support another OS as his own firmware...which is more
56 limited in compare to rockbox.
57
58 In the meanwhile it looks like that there are two sources of trouble:
59 The sdcard, which acts as addtional flash memory extension. I changed
60 the sdcard I used to use with a another one, which work much better --
61 with rockbox. The original firmware does not have a problem with
62 either card.
63
64 Since such firmware - neither the original one nor rockbox - has the
65 abilities of a fully fledged OS like linux for example I am looking
66 for a simple method to revert a somehow corrupted filesystem on either
67 flash memory back to a valid one. I think it is better to loose some
68 files (which can be regenerated) for the benefit of a sane filesystem
69 than to insist of using a invalid one (and screw it up beyond repair
70 with each new write to it).
71
72 Rockbox supports the execution of lua scripts (somehow limited...no
73 floating point, limited OS lib etc...). So, when the player needs
74 to be hard resetted which lead to a not-so-valid state of the
75 filesystem it would be nice, if a lua script would be able to revert
76 the filesystem back to a valid state.
77
78 If (see initial question) this would be possible by simply delete
79 all files which were altered since last execution of the script and
80 rebbot the play than...that would be nice.
81
82 But: I dont know, whether the logic behind my initial question
83 is valid and reasonable...or simply as corrupted as the filesystem
84 i want to repair...
85
86 Any further idea is heartly appreciated!
87 Best regards,
88 mcc