From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Restart "frozen" X
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 01:54:08
1 On 02/26/2013 07:18 PM, Joseph wrote:
2 > I'm running Nvidia driver: 310.32 with my GeForce GTS 450 kernle-3.1.6
3 >
4 > but I've noticed it freezes my screen once a day or ever second day.
5 > Mouse is moving but no icon is responding, nor can I use the keyboard
6 > (all frozen).
7 >
8 > I can login to the system over ssh. I've tried to restart/zap "xdm" it
9 > doesn't help.
10 > What else can I do to restart "X"?
13 If downgrading nvidia-drivers doesn't help check your power supply. My
14 computer exhibited this issue a while back because the voltages went all
15 wonky and the hardware really didn't like it - I could still ssh in from
16 my tablet but the entire computer appeared frozen.
17
18 If I just ran at the console (ie not starting X) the computer would work
19 fine all day.
20
21 I don't know what nvidia card you have but mine requires two extra power
22 connectors but the PSU just couldn't supply enough power to keep the GPU
23 stable.
24
25 Dan