From: Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Need networking help. Can't ping google.
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 06:39:46
1 On Fri, Dec 10, 2010 at 2:06 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I got my system put together. I have booted a Gentoo 10 CD. This is the
6 > setup as far as the network goes.
7 >
8 > Internet
9 >
10 > DSL modem
11 >
12 > Gentoo rig named smoker
13 >
14 > New rig, no name yet. Lightening will work for now. ;-)
15 >
16 > I got it working from internet to modem to Gentoo rig as usual. I also can
17 > ping, BY IP, my Gentoo rig smoker from lightening. I cannot get smoker to
18 > resolve the traffic from Lightening to the internet. When I try to ping
19 > google, it sits there for a bit and I see traffic from Lightening on gkrellm
20 > but it never forwards to the internet. After a bit, it says " ping: unknown
21 > host google.com".
24 So lightening talks through smoker right? That is, lightening is not
25 connected to the modem?
26
27 Is smoker running a DNS server?
28 Does /etc/resolv.conf on smoker point to that local DNS server and lookups
29 work?
30 What is in /etc/resolv.conf on lightening?
31 Is IP forwarding enabled on smoker?
34 > I'm pretty sure the issue is smoker. I went through this before and my old
35 > script doesn't work. Basically, smoker isn't forwarding the traffic from
36 > Lightening to the internet. I been following the home router howto and
37 > even turned the commands they list into s new script. Still no workey.
40 If you're correct then ip forwarding is off;
41 cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_foward should be 1. If its 0 then smoker is not
42 routing, and you need to make it do that!