From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: CD ripper that generates song titles?
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 21:12:47
1 On 2015-08-26, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > I went to the CNE (Canadian National Exhibition) yesterday and
4 > indulged in a buying spree of 18 CD sets of my fave music (basically
5 > anything pop/rock/country pre-Beatles). I now have over 20 CDs that I
6 > want to rip to flac eventually. I dread the gruntwork in renaming
7 > tracks like track01.cdda.wav, etc. What Gentoo ebuilds are there for
8 > stuff that'll get ahold of track titles?
9
10 Any of the CD ripping utilities will do that. If you want
11 point/click, maybe try grip. For command line there's abcde. There's
12 also ripperx, KAudioCreator, Asunder, Audex, SoundJuicer, and probably
13 at least a dozen more. There are ebuilds for pretty much all of them
14 (some of them in overlays).
15
16 The one I always used to use was an ncurses frontend to the usual
17 stuff[1] written by somebody in Germany. I've forgetten the name of it
18 and nothing Google finds looks familiar (haven't bought actual
19 physical CD in yonks, and the machine on which I last ripped one is
20 long since dead and gone).
21
22 If I were going to rip a CD today, I'd probably go with abcde.
23
24 > Is it in the form of metadata on the CD?
25
26 Sometimes, but rarely.
27
28 [1] cdparanoia, mp3lame, cddb, ffmpeg, mencoder, id3tag etc.
31 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! does your DRESSING
32 at ROOM have enough ASPARAGUS?
33 gmail.com