From: Al <oss.elmar@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Shared libraries in Gentoo
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 19:30:25
1 >> How does a program in Gentoo know, where to look for shared libraries?
2 >
3 > Try running "ldconfig -p", which relates to Nikos's comment about
4 > ld.so.conf.
5 >
6 As you both indicated me in into that direction I played with libtool.
7 During usage it gives a comprehensive answer to our question:
8
9 <quote libtool>
10 If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
11 in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
12 specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
13 flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
14 - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
15 during execution
16 - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
17 during linking
18 - use the `-Wl,-rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
19 - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'
20
21 See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
22 more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.
23 </quote>
24
25 Al