From: Mike Edenfield <kutulu@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 22:16:41
1 On Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:16:03 PM Joost Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Thursday, September 15, 2011 04:42:23 PM Mike Edenfield wrote:
3
4 > > I would estimate that the vast, vast, vast majority of users are those
5 > > such as myslelf, who have no opinion whatsoever, and either will not be
6 > > affected at all by these changes (because they don't separate / and
7 > > /usr), or will simply apply the proposed initramfs solution and move
8 > > on.
9 >
10 > You also don't have /var (or /var/log) seperated? Or any of the other parts
11 > of the filesystem that might be required by udev-rules?
12
13 Speaking solely for myself, no. Years ago I routinely split /, /usr, and /var
14 when setting up my FreeBSD systems, and found that it only ever caused
15 problems when I could not get /usr or /var mounted when I needed them.
16
17 At least since I switched to Gentoo, I've simply set up one partition with
18 everything on it, and kept regular backups in case of failure.
19
20 I clearly recognize that there are valid reasons to split your partitions, I
21 have just never found any of them applicable to my situations.
22
23 --Mike