From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] to install portage on other gentoo installs
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 07:14:33
1 On 14/02/14 14:59, Edward M wrote:
2 > On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 18:55:19 +0200
3 > Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 13/02/2014 18:35, Edward M wrote:
6 >>> On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 02:44:02 +0200
7 >>> Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>> On 13/02/2014 02:40, Edward M wrote:
10 >>>>> Howdy,
11 >>>>>
12 >>>>> Been busy learning Linux :-) got new email other was getting
13 >>>>> crowded. I'm planing on installing Gentoo on a few systems and I
14 >>>>> was wondering to save bandwidth, i could install portage to the
15 >>>>> other Gentoo installs from my system instead downloading from
16 >>>>> mirrors?
17 >>>>>
18 >>>>> Thanks in advance!
19 >>>>>
20 >>>>
21 >>>> Yes.
22 >>>>
23 >>>> The stage are just tarballs, download them once, copy to the new
24 >>>> location and unpack.
25 >>>> Same with the portage snapshots.
26 >>>> Same with the distfiles.
27 >>>> they are just files, copy them to where they need to be and use
28 >>>> them, or let emerge find them.
29 >>>>
30 >>>> Read the install docs first and learn more about how Linux works on
31 >>>> the command line. Pretty soon you'll find the bits where the manual
32 >>>> says "download such-and-such from this place" and you'll spot that
33 >>>> if you already have the downloadable file you can just use it
34 >>>> already.
35 >>>>
36 >>>>
37 >>>>
38 >>>
39 >>> Alan,
40 >>>
41 >>> I want to apologized I did not thanked you for the great advice
42 >>> you gave me. I noticed this this morning when I re-read my emails.
43 >>>
44 >>> Best Regards.
47 >> No problem. Come check my inbox sometime, any given mail stands a 1
48 >> in 3 chance of being answered at all :-)
49 >>
50 >> I see earlier in the thread someone mentioned sharing the portage tree
51 >> over NFS. Now this is by far the best solution of all in terms of
52 >> outright performance; but be warned up front - there are pitfalls.
53 >>
54 >> NFS is nothing like setting up a Windows share, and there's nothing
55 >> about it that just magically works. Folks new to Linux often have
56 >> heaps of trouble with it (mostly because NFS assumes you are going to
57 >> do a whole lot of heavy lifting yourself and you have already dealt
58 >> with the tricky issue of keeping user accounts in sync, and
59 >> permission woes). So by all means use NFS, just know upfront the
60 >> learning curve is steepish, and the good folks on this list can give
61 >> tons of good advice as well as get you through the arcane basics :-)
64 > Thank you for this valuable advice.
65 > I have been doing some research using bing and google and I found some
66 > howtos,docs setting up NFS portage. hope they work. thanks again
69 An easier method than NFS that avoids some of the pitfalls is
70 http-replicator. Works like an upstream mirror - the first request
71 causes the files to be downloaded to the cache and supplied to the host
72 - then the next host to need the same files gets served from the cache.
73 Also handles parallel requests unlike NFS.
74
75 BillK