From: Matti Nykyri <matti.nykyri@×××.fi>
To: "gentoo-user@l.g.o" <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] LENOVO Z510 + Dual Boot + Gentoo == True ?
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 09:08:39
1 On Mar 15, 2014, at 19:17, »Q« <boxcars@×××.net> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 10 Mar 2014 13:33:20 +0000
4 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 >> On Saturday 08 Mar 2014 20:22:12 »Q« wrote:
7 >>> On Sat, 08 Mar 2014 08:23:21 +0100
8 >
9 >>> grub booted Gentoo just fine, but Windows booting failed, something
10 >>> about not finding partitions or files. Instead of troubleshooting
11 >>> that, I disabled os probing for grub (GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=true
12 >>> in /etc/default/grub) and added Windows via /etc/grub.d/40_custom ,
13 >>> like so:
14 >
15 >> If you moved the MSWindows OS or boot partitions then the UUIDs would
16 >> have changed.
17 >
18 > I moved the OS partition, and it's UUID did indeed change.
21 I have swaped the hard drive from my dual boot box and ran into the same problem trying get windows 7 to boot. As you also quite fast realice by reading different forums that changing windows boot parameters is a quite big hassle. I would not go that way! You have another simpler solution.
22
23 Change the hard disk device ID to the same value as the old disk. It is written on MBR. Change the UUID of the windows partition to the same as on the old partition. UUID on NTFS partition is written at the beginning of the partition at 0x48-4F.
24
25 So by changing 2x16 bytes of data your machine should boot again correctly. Also if you grub is not on the same physical disk as windows then you need trick windows by changing the order with grub before booting (see map command)
26
27 >> You'll need to edit the MSWindows boot menu (in the MSWindows boot
28 >> partition) and change their entrie(s) accordingly.
29 >
30 > If somebody can post a link to a recipe for doing that, I'd appreciate
31 > it. I don't understand the Windows boot stuff.