From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Network traffic analysis
Date: Tue, 17 May 2016 08:08:38
1 On Monday 16 May 2016 20:12:07 James wrote:
2 > Mick <michaelkintzios <at> gmail.com> writes:
3 > > > Is there anything around to do this and not need a web server
4 > > > installed on the local machine?
5 > >
6 > > Have a look at iftop, iptraf-ng and if you want more graphics ntop is
7 > > worth considering.
8 > >
9 > > Beyond those tools you could look at snmp, rrdtool and if you want a
10 > > full
11 > > blown monitoring tool with alerts and what not you could look at nagios,
12 > > cacti, munin, etc., but all these would require a webserver running.
13 >
14 > Here is an additional resource listing, including wireshark. These tools
15 > usually categorize traffic by port/protocol and not the specific
16 > process(es) but I'm sure if you dig deeply enough you'll find what
17 > you are looking for to characterize the traffic.
18 >
19 > hth,
20 > James
23 > [1] https://wiki.wireshark.org/Tools
24
25 Thank you both. I'll look into those.
28 Rgds
29 Peter