From: Mike Williams <mike@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Genkernel doesn't work when module loadable support is disabled
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 15:24:20
1 On Friday 01 September 2006 14:29, Xavier MOGHRABI wrote:
2 > I'm trying to generate a kernel without module. So I've disabled "Enable
3 > loadable module support" option with genkernel.
4 >
5 > Genkernel compiles well the bzimage but fails after with the message
6 > "ERROR: Failed to compile the "modules" target..." (look hereunder log).
7 >
8 > Do you know how can I generate my kernel w/o module support using Genkernel
9 > ?
10
11 > The present kernel configuration has modules disabled.
12 > Type 'make config' and enable loadable module support.
13 > Then build a kernel with module support enabled.
14
15 I'm not sure where that error comes from, but it sounds like you do need to
16 heed it.
17 If you *want* a kernel without modules, then enable module loading and make
18 sure all the drivers you need are compiled in.
19 If you *need* to not have module loading, then I'd imagine you have no choice
20 but to compile it manually.
21
22 p.s. Do you *need* an initrd/initramfs? With no modules I doubt you do, so try
23 genkernel with kernel instead of all.
26 Mike Williams
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list