From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is 'MAKEOPTS="--jobs --load-average=5"' silly?
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 22:26:18
1 On Mon, 25 Mar 2013 16:57:09 -0400, gottlieb@×××.edu wrote:
2
3 > It is not clear that any time saved by having jobs=5 compensates for
4 > having to redo builds. So my question is do people
5 >
6 > 1. keep jobs=1 in MAKEOPTS
7 > 2. have jobs=n in MAKEOPTS but degrade on error as I do
8 > 3. have jobs=n and file bugs when it fails.
9 >
10 > thanks,
11 > allan
12 >
13 > PS I do not change EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS
14
15 I have "--jobs --load-average=12" in EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS and override
16 this for known problematic packages in /etc/portage/package.env.
17
18 For example:
19
20 % cat /etc/portage/package.env/libreoffice
21 app-office/libreoffice j4.conf
22
23 % cat /etc/portage/env/j4.conf
24 MAKEOPTS="-j4"
25
26 Running MAKEOPTS="-j1" as default on a multi-core processor seems an
27 awful waste of resources, unless it is needed for something else, in
28 which case I don't run emerge at all.
32 Neil Bothwick
33
34 Excuse for the day: daemons did it