From: joost@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing multiple systems with identical hardware
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2013 18:37:51
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >On 30/09/2013 19:31, Grant wrote:
3 >>>> Keeping all of the laptops 100% identical as far as hardware is
4 >>>> central to this plan. I know I'm setting myself up for big
5 >problems
6 >>>> otherwise.
7 >>>>
8 >>>> I'm hoping I can emerge every package on my laptop that every other
9 >>>> laptop needs. That way I can fix any build problems and update any
10 >>>> config files right on my own system. Then I would push config file
11 >>>> differences to all of the other laptops. Then each laptop could
12 >>>> emerge its own stuff unattended.
13 >>>
14 >>> I see what you desire now - essentially you want to clone your
15 >laptop
16 >>> (or big chunks of it) over to your other workstations.
17 >>
18 >> That sounds about right.
19 >>
20 >>> To get a feel for how it works, visit puppet's web site and download
21 >>> some of the test appliances they have there and run them in vm
22 >software.
23 >>> Set up a server and a few clients, and start experimenting in that
24 >>> sandbox. You'll quickly get a feel for how it all hangs together
25 >(it's
26 >>> hard to describe in text how puppet gets the job done, so much
27 >easier to
28 >>> do it for real and watch the results)
29 >>
30 >> Puppet seems like overkill for what I need. I think all I really
31 >need
32 >> is something to manage config file differences and user accounts. At
33 >> this point I'm thinking I shouldn't push packages themselves, but
34 >> portage config files and then let each laptop emerge unattended based
35 >> on those portage configs. I'm going to bring this to the 'salt'
36 >> mailing list to see if it might be a good fit. It seems like a much
37 >> lighter weight application.
38 >
39 >Two general points I can add:
40 >
41 >1. Sharing config files turns out to be really hard. By far the easiest
42 >way is to just share /etc but that is an all or nothing approach, and
43 >you just need one file to be different to break it. Like /etc/hostname
44 >
45 >You *could* create a "share" directory inside /etc and symlink common
46 >files in there, but that gets very tedious quickly.
47 >
48 >Rather go for a centralized repo solution that pushes configs out, you
49 >must just find the one that's right for you.
50 >
51 >2. Binary packages are almost perfect for your needs IMHO, running
52 >emerge gets very tedious quickly, and your spec is that all
53 >workstations
54 >have the same USE. You'd be amazed how much time you save by doing
55 >this:
56 >
57 >emerge -b on your laptop and share your /var/packages
58 >emerge -K on the workstations when your laptop is on the network
59 >
60 >step 2 goes amazingly quickly - eyeball the list to be emerged, they
61 >should all be purple, press enter. About a minute or two per
62 >workstation, as opposed to however many hours the build took.
63 >
64 >3. (OK, three points). Share your portage tree over the network. No
65 >point in syncing multiple times when you actually just need to do it
66 >once.
70 >> I'm soaking up a lot of your time (again). I'll return with any real
71 >> Gentoo questions I run into and to run down the final plan before I
72 >> execute it. Thanks so much for your help. Not sure what I'd do
73 >> without you. :)
74 >
75 >I'm sure Neil would step in if I'm hit by a bus
76 >He'd say the same things, and use about 1/4 of the words it takes me
77 >;-)
80 >--
81 >Alan McKinnon
82 >alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
83
84 Grant,
85
86 Additionally. You might want to consider sharing /etc/portage and /var/lib/portage/world (the file)
87 I do that between my build host and the other machines. (Along with the portage tree, packages and distfiles)
88
89 That way all workstations end up with the same packages each time you run "emerge -vauDk world" on them.
90
91 And like Alan said, it goes really quick.
94 Joost
97 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.