From: Joshua Murphy <poisonbl@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Am I wrong?..
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2009 15:28:35
1 On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 11:11 AM, Albert Hopkins <marduk@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > [very clear, consice, polite answer to the OP's "question"]
3 >
4 > And he's right, as a "meta" distribution, "it just works" is generally
5 > *not* regarded as a Gentoo principle to shoot for.
6
7 And oddly, in fact, it usually it's still a goal usually reached, or
8 at least rather easily attained in all of 2 steps past emerge (often
9 mentioned in emerge output) by the admin. "It Just Works" though, in
10 other distros, applies all the way up to the line where you start
11 trying to decide things for yourself, while the distro maintainers
12 have decided other things for you... I saw it back in Mandrake, I see
13 it now in Ubuntu. Wonderful distros for "ease of use", but stripping
14 them down to a minimal system and expecting all my favorite pieces to
15 happily coexist never quite "just works". I'm strongly considering,
16 now that I've the drive space (upped from 4gb to 16gb) in my netbook,
17 bringing the last of my 'nix boxes back to Gentoo for the very fact
18 that the system's been lacking in the "It Just Works" principle.
19
20 Randomly, an oddly fitting quote in my signature.
23 Poison [BLX]
24 Joshua M. Murphy
25 "The price of greatness is responsibility." - Sir Winston Churchill