From: burlingk@×××××××××.mil
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] no audio
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 02:52:38
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: maxim wexler [mailto:blissfix@×××××.com]
3 > Sent: Monday, May 28, 2007 10:09 AM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: [gentoo-user] no audio
8 > Hi group,
9 >
10 > For a 2.6.19.5 kernel on a PIII w/SBLive soundcard
11 > using snd-emu10k1 module. I emerged alsa-utils and
12 > mp3blaster.
13 >
14 > Ran #rc-update add alsasound boot
15 >
16 > Ran alsaconf and let it write /etc/modules.d/alsa. It
17 > concluded with a tell-tale pop from the speakers and
18 > the message that my sound card was set up and ready to
19 > use.
20 >
21 > But mp3blaster won't play. Msg is "Failed to open
22 > sound device"
23 >
24 > Noticed under /dev/sound there was no 'audio' or 'dsp'
25 > nodes so I made them w/ mknod.
26 >
27 > No good, same msg.
28 >
29 > Set ENABLE_OSS_EMUL="no" in /etc/conf.d/alsasound and
30 > rebooted.
31 >
32 > Ditto.
33 >
34 > Is this a configuration problem or a soundcard problem
35 > or is mp3blaster to blame?
36 >
37 > FWIW modules loaded, alsamixer unmuted.
38 >
39 > Maxim
43 > ______________________________________________________________
44 > ______________________Take the Internet to Go: Yahoo!Go puts
45 > the Internet in your pocket: mail, news, photos & more.
46 > http://mobile.yahoo.com/go?refer=1GNXIC
47 > --
48 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
51 With the newer kernels, you don't need to do anything outside the kernel
52 for Alsa sound most of the time. Make sure to configure the kernel so
53 that it has basic sound support enabled (I would compile this into the
54 kernel, not as a module, but that is me).
55
56 Next, on the menu where you choose options, leave OSS unmarked, and
57 select Alsa support.
58
59 On the submenu for Alsa support, select everything that applies (Do
60 select OSS Emulation, as some packages don't ASK which driver you are
61 using, they just assume the one they want is there).
62
63 If you select extra things here, it won't matter much. The extra items
64 are just Midi drivers, and if you don't have Midi hardware, they aren't
65 an issue either way. ^_^
66
67 In other words, on this screen it is safe to select pretty much
68 everything.
69
70 On the screen for PCI drivers, select the option(s) appropriate for your
71 hardware.
72
73 'lspci' should show which sound card your system has.
74
75 If you are using devfs, then the device nodes should be created
76 automatically, if not then I am not sure how to create them manually in
77 an old style system. It is possible, that you may need to manually
78 chmod a+wr the device node in order use them (This is assuming they are
79 there, which you said they were not I think).
80
81 Also dsp, should be /dev/dsp in many cases. Many of the items you want
82 will be under /dev directly instead of /dev/sound These may be links to
83 the /dev/sound items, but I am not sure. ^^;; More experienced people
84 can probably tell you that.
87 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list