From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NX, FreeNX, Neatx, x2go?
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 00:16:59
1 Paul Hartman writes:
2
3 > On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 8:43 AM, Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
4 > wrote:
5 > > What would be the best solution? What do you prefer?
6 >
7 > I haven't tried FreeNX, x2go or NeatX or any of those, but I'm using
8 > nxserver-freeedition for years and using the official NX Client to
9 > connect from remote machines (Linux and Windows). All of the features
10 > work such as session suspending and resuming. I use public key login
11 > on my machine and there was some trick to getting it working
12 > initially. (I don't remember, but if you search for my name and
13 > nxserver in this list's archives there should be a message about it
14 > somewhere.)
15 >
16 > I think that the other NX clients, such as QtNX, or things based on
17 > libnxcl, usually only work to connect into a FreeNX server and not
18 > with the official NX servers. Ideally I think the nx client version
19 > should match the nx server version for best results.
20
21 I'm also using using nxclient from nomachine.org.
22
23 I only tried nxserver-freeedition on an Ubuntu server where I had some
24 trouble running FreeNX. It worked well first, but then I started getting
25 some errors about a wrong 'bsize' or something. Ususally a few retries later
26 I can connect, but at the moment I can't. I did not investigate this further
27 yet because there are other servers in that LAN than I can use instead.
28
29 FreeNX is now working on my new machine. First I had to emerge xterm, which
30 was the custom command I wanted to execute. Stupid error, but a message that
31 the command could not be found would have been nice.
32 And then I had to change the DISPLAY_BASE in node.conf. Looks like when
33 running multiple instances of nxclient those values have to be different.
34
35 That was with Windows XP. Now I tried to connect from my Linux Desktop, and
36 got an error about the display :1043. I set it back to the default of :1000,
37 and it works again.
38 ...
39 So it looks like when runing multiple clients, their servers need to have
40 different displays. Additionally, there is a timing problem, a workaround is
41 to add a sleep 4 in /usr/bin/nxnode right before the xrdb starts. I found
42 this tip somewhere on the web, noone added such a patch yet, probably
43 because FreeNX is dead.
44
45 > nxclient contains a whole X server, which is really not necessary if
46 > the client machine is already running X. Ultimately if your client has
47 > X and ssh already, you just need nxproxy. Connect to server and run
48 > nxagent and have a working session (there are shell scripts to do this
49 > on platforms who have X but not nxclient, such as ARM). But you won't
50 > get any of the special features like suspending and resuming,
51 > printing, sound, etc.
52
53 I never used sound or printing, although it might be nice. But
54 suspending/resuming sessions is really cool. I often run nxclient from my
55 Windows Notebook in the living room to run stuff on my linux desktop, and I
56 can shut down the notebook in between if I like.
57
58 Thanks for your input. I will consider nxserver-freeedition for the next
59 time I set up this stuff. FreeNX is dead, and I read that it is also a
60 genrally a little slower than the nomachine version. x2go looks not yet
61 ready, but I think I'll also try it when the next version arrives and I have
62 some spare time to paly around with.
63
64 Wonko