From: Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] WM that does not require policykit, consolekit, and gudev
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 21:23:12
1 Hello,
2
3 I installed twm to test my xorg as per the gentoo install docs. Works great!
4
5 Then I decided to install what I thought would be a lightweight WM:
6 xfce4 with "emerge -vat xfce4-meta". Unfortunately emerge didn't want
7 to continue without some changes from me involving USE flags gudev,
8 policykit, and consolekit.
9
10 At this point I see three options:
11
12 1. Understand gudev, policykit, and consolekit and not be frightened
13 of them (a tall order given the google results I am getting). Then
14 enable the USE flags and install xfce4-meta
15
16 2. Do not attempt to understand the USE flags and enable them anyway
17 (frightening given all the polictykit and consolekit chatter I see on
18 google)
19
20 3. Select another WM that is more "lightweight" and doesn't require
21 these USE flags.
22
23 I'm leaning towards (3).
24
25 Can you recommend a WM that will not require me to enable gudev,
26 policykit, and consolekit?
27
28 Thank you,
29