From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] GCC compilation disk space
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 04:47:42
1 Hi list:
2
3 Is it me or does gcc take more disk space to compile now?
4
5 I am trying to upgrade to gcc-4.3.2, and the compile stopped become
6 it ran out of disk space--after eating up ~700 MB in /var/tmp. I
7 seem to recall running into the same problem with the 4.3.1-r1 that
8 I have installed at the moment.
9
10 After cleaning out some cruft, I starting the compilation with 1.3
11 GB left on the partition, and so far it has used close to 800MB
12 one-hour into the emerge.
13
14 I don't remember gcc-3 being such a resource hog when building. So I
15 wonder: is this the expected behaviour or is something wrong with my
16 box?
17
18 W
19 --
20 "Fucking shit, man, this is ridiculous."
21 "Ben...this is what Princeton is like:
22 (mimes delivering a beating with a large, blunt object.) Wham, wham, wham.
23 (mimes shaking hand.) Here's your degree. Except the 'Whams' take four years."
24 "Urgh..."
25 ~DeathMech, Some Student. P-town PHY 205
26 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 670 days, 3:21