From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] firefox cpu usage
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 12:56:12
1 On Thursday 31 Dec 2015 07:17:24 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Running Gentoo (32 bit) as guest on a solaris machine.
3 >
4 > My install initially had `aurora' as browser. I removed it and
5 > installed firefox.bin, thinking the cpu usage would drop.
6 >
7 > It has dropped but only minimally.
8 >
9 > The host machine (Openindian) has 32 GB RAM.
10 >
11 > My vbox setup allows 3016 MB for guest (gentoo) ram.
12 >
13 > With firefox open but not actively browsing, ... I see from %44
14 > .. to %63 cpu in a `top' display for cpu usage. When actually using
15 > the app, it goes to %80 plus. Even 100%
16 >
17 > Is this normal cpu usage for firefox? If so, are there any tips for
18 > cutting down on the cpu usage of firefox?
19 >
20 > Perhaps a different browser? But it has to work on banking sites.
21
22 My first thought is that your set up is using software instead of hardware
23 acceleration for graphics and this is what causes a high CPU in FF.
24
25 With a new profile my FF is sitting at 2.0% when doing nothing (on Linux).
28 Regards,
29 Mick