From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Router/Firewall strangeness
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2007 16:55:33
1 On Wednesday 05 December 2007, Billy Holmes wrote:
2 > Quoting Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>:
3 > > I don't see how that could be because I was able to log in when the
4 > > system was freshly booted yesterday. I'll grab a monitor and keyboard
5 > > from the garage, have a look, and report back here.
6 >
7 > when I have problems with ssh, I run another instance in debug mode:
8 >
9 > In one terminal (local box):
10 >
11 > /usr/sbin/sshd -p 2222 -d
12 >
13 > from remote box:
14 >
15 > ssh $machine -p 2222
16 >
17 > then you can look at the output from the local box to see what's going on.
18 >
19 > very handy.
20
21 As well as checking the firewall and syslog messages on the server.
22
23 Here's another long shot: If your physical network (cables, connectors, etc)
24 are playing up you could be dropping packets, which will leave TCP
25 connections hanging and cause the maximum connection limit to be reached.
26 ifconfig should show errors in this case.
27 --
28 Regards,
29 Mick