From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volker.armin.hemmann@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Which filesystem for a notebook?
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 01:56:33
1 Hi,
2 On Monday 08 August 2005 23:40, Alexander Skwar wrote:
3 > Hello!
4 >
5 > What filesystem(s) do you recommend for use on a notebook?
6 > I'm looking for a FS that's fairly stable even if all of a
7 > sudden the power goes away (battery empty) and one, that
8 > also doesn't (overly) unneccesarily spin up the hard drive.
9 >
10 > I don't think that I'll use Reiser4, as it's lacking an
11 > online fs resizer. At least making the fs bigger should be
12 > doable while the FS is mounted.
15 I do not have any direct experience, but from all that I read over the years I
16 came to this:
17
18 XFS is very fragile, when the power is failing.
19 XFS will replace damaged files with zeros
20
21 this is both not acceptable.
22
23 Reiser4 is alpha code in motion.
24 I would not touch it with a 10 feet pole at the moment.
25
26 Well 4 filesystems left ;)
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list