From: Martin Eisenhardt <martin.eisenhardt@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Good command for wiping a hard drive?
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 21:30:10
1 Hello,
2
3 you might want to give shred a try. It is probably already installed on your
4 box.
5
6 Regards
7 Martin
8
9 On Friday 30 September 2005 23:11, Mark Knecht wrote:
10 > Thanks Remy
11 >
12 > On 9/30/05, Remy Blank <remy.blank_asps@×××××.com> wrote:
13 > > Mark Knecht wrote:
14 > > > Sold my laptop on Ebay. It was dual boot Gentoo/XP Pro and had
15 > > > financial data on it. I'd like to pretty securely wipe the drive
16 > > > before shipping. I've already deleted all 10 partitions and written
17 > > > new partitions on which are different sizes and different file
18 > > > systems. What simple command can Ido to write data to the whole drive?
19 > >
20 > > Assuming your hard disk is /dev/hda, I'd do:
21 > >
22 > > dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=8M
23 > >
24 > > Then go have a coffee. If you want it more secure, go for this, a few
25 > > times in a row (at least 7, I read):
26 > >
27 > > dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/hda bs=8M
28 > >
29 > > However, this will take a *long* time, as /dev/urandom is quite slow.
30 > > But it will make the data unrecoverable even with expensive means.
31 > >
32 > > -- Remy
35 > > Remove underscore and suffix in reply address for a timely response.
36 > >
37 > > --
38 > > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
41 Dipl. Wirtsch.Inf. (Univ.) Martin Eisenhardt
42
43 Otto-Friedrich-University Bamberg
44 Department Business Informatics and Applied Computer Science
45 Media Informatics Group
46
47 D - 96045 Bamberg
48