From: Mateusz Kowalczyk <fuuzetsu@×××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why media-libs are needed for an email client.
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 01:10:25
1 On 29/12/13 00:14, Edward M wrote:
2 > Hello,
5 > I want to give kmail a try but i'm confuse why multimedia libs depends
6 > are needed for an email client.
7
8 Perhaps because a lot of software nowadays attempts to do everything at
9 once. Maybe it plays sound attachments inside of the client.
10
11 > I get the following media-libs when i
12 > execute emerge -a kmail:
13 >
14 > [snip]
15
16 I recommend that you use the ‘-t’ portage flag in the future to see what
17 pulls in what. I also recommend ‘-v’.
18
19 Now, having said that, I don't see anything directly in the ebuild that
20 would pull in those libraries. Here's however what I got when seeing
21 what it will do on a system with gstreamer USE and no KDE:
22
23 # required by media-libs/phonon-gstreamer-4.7.1
24 # required by media-libs/phonon-4.7.1[gstreamer]
25 # required by kde-base/kdelibs-4.12.0
26 # required by kde-base/korganizer-4.12.0
27 # required by kde-base/kmail-4.12.0
28 # required by kmail (argument)
29 >=media-plugins/gst-plugins-meta-0.10-r8:0.10 vorbis
32 So maybe KDE is pulling in something.
35 Mateusz K.