From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: After logging into a console. text flashes on the screen and returns to the login
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2016 18:04:15
1 Andrew Lowe <agl <at> wht.com.au> writes:
4 > Hi all,
5 > I have an ARM device that I have Gentoo on. In the past I had it
6 > successfully running and then one day I managed to "customise" something
7 > and I could no longer get it to boot. At the time I though "I'll have to
8 > fix that...". Today I'm trying.
9
10 If you can, over ssh, 'emerge elogv' as it will present the latest to
11 first installed packages and some detailed notes related to the last
12 packages you install. If not you'll have to manually go through log files
13 and look at each of the recently installed/upgraded/modified codes to figure
14 out what/when things went screwy.....
17 > The machine in question operates as a small server hence runs
18 > headless. > For the work at hand, I've attached it to the TV hence
19 > everything is in text mode, no X.
20
21 I'm assuming you've manually parsed dmesg for any indications of problems?
24 > When it boots, I'm presented with the login prompt. I enter "root",
25 > the password & enter. The screen flashes, a frame by frame viewing of a
26 > video of this shows that it's printing the last time I logged in and
27 > then am represented with the login again. This just repeats. I though
28 > that I had forgotten the root password hence accessed the disk via
29 > another machine, reset things in the shadow file and rebooted. Once
30 > again the screen flashed, with the same output, and I was presented with
31 > the login prompt again.
32
33 try any user account and see if you can first login on console as an
34 ordinary user. If you did not make up any user/admin/operator (etc)
35 ancillary accounts, see if you can make one up remotely. (useradd)
36
37 > Any thought on what could be going wrong here? I've ensured all the
38 > files that should be owned by root are owned by root - I think. Logging
39 > appears not to be working so I can't get much from that. I'm 99.99% sure
40 > this is not an ARM specific problem as the machine was running perfectly
41 > beforehand.
42
43 openrc, busybox or systemd?
44
45 Regardless, the myriad of arm variant can cause many variations on your
46 problem. Make sure you have your processor/resources details. I'd recommend
47 you drop in on gentoo-embedded irc channela as that where most of the
48 arm-jocks hang out.....
49
50 hth,
51 James