From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good command for wiping a hard drive?
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 21:04:58
1 On 9/30/05, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Sold my laptop on Ebay. It was dual boot Gentoo/XP Pro and had
4 > financial data on it. I'd like to pretty securely wipe the drive
5 > before shipping. I've already deleted all 10 partitions and written
6 > new partitions on which are different sizes and different file
7 > systems. What simple command can Ido to write data to the whole drive?
8 >
9 > After doing this I will be deleting all partitions again and
10 > running the XP reinstall disk from Compaq so that the new buyer gets a
11 > machine more or less ready for him to work. (I offered to set him up
12 > with Gentoo but he didn't byte.) ;-)
15 > I should think you could use `dd` but im not sure exactly the command
16 syntax you need.
17 -Mike
21 Michael E. Crute
22 Software Developer
23 SoftGroup Development Corporation
24
25 Linux, because reboots are for installing hardware.
26 "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"