From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] PHP 5.3, 5.4 and 5.5
Date: Thu, 02 Jan 2014 13:16:32
1 On 02/01/2014 14:46, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I have a VM running in the cloud that has an old web/php app (10+ years
5 > old, believe it or not), that still runs fine on apache 2.2.25, but I
6 > pinned php to 5.3 some time ago.
7 >
8 > Does anyone see any big potential gotchas (major changes) with php 5.4,
9 > or even 5.5, if I were to upgrade it?
10 >
11 > Thx
16 Impossible to say without seeing your php code. Potentially there are
17 many changes.
18
19 You'd be better off doing the heavy lifting yourself first:
20
21 1. read all the changelogs
22 2. run it in a staging vm with php5.5 and see what happens
23
24 some folks might be in a position to tell you what happened to them with
25 such an upgrade, but that's only a partial picture, you'd still have to
26 deal with what *your* code does
29 Alan McKinnon
30 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com