From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: but cool - NASDAQ is gentoo powered
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 17:08:24
1 On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 9:48 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 8:28 PM, Adam Carter <adamcarter3@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> http://www.itworld.com/open-source/193823/how-linux-mastered-wall-street
4 >
5 > This is related to a question I wanted to poll the list with. How does
6 > everybody here use Gentoo? For personal use? Production use? For
7 > server, desktop or embedded roles? What's your most interesting setup
8 > or use case?
9
10 I have one laptop, three desktops (two at my university), one HTPC
11 (with an ION Zotac mobo), and 2 servers, for very different purposes
12 each. The servers are in production.
13
14 Some years ago I administered the desktop machines in my work: Ten
15 gentoo boxen compiling in parallel with distcc; that was awesome.
16
17 My most interesting setup by far is the HTPC, I guess: it boots really
18 quickly (thanks to systemd), and it has a lot of little modifications
19 so I don't need to ssh into it to do anything: Everything is done
20 through the remote control.
21
22 In all my computers (i.e., not the two desktops at uni, since they are
23 not "mine") I use systemd (which thankfully has entered the portage
24 tree), and in my desktop and laptop I use GNOME 3 from the GNOME
25 overlay. It all works basically flawless.
26
27 Regards.
28 --
29 Canek Peláez Valdés