From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Backlight problems
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2012 18:17:49
1 On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:58 AM, Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>> On my just-released Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook, I can control the backlight
3 >>> with 'xbacklight -set 0' and 'xbacklight -set 100'.  Any other values
4 >>> cause the screen to blink and flash.  The keyboard backlight shortcuts
5 >>> don't work unless I map them to xbacklight 0 and 100.  Also xbacklight
6 >>> doesn't work at all if I'm unplugged from AC.  I've tried
7 >>> acpi_osi=Linux and acpi_backlight=vendor in grub.conf.  acpi_osi
8 >>> doesn't seem to make any difference and xbacklight doesn't work at all
9 >>> without acpi_backlight.  Do I just need to wait for a newer kernel?
10 >>
11 >> Does the gentoo install CD or a rescue CD give you any way to test the
12 >> same backlight functions?  If the backlight works correctly when running
13 >> such a CD then listing the loaded kernel modules might give you a clue.
14 >
15 > I tried the latest Kubuntu and Ubuntu LiveCDs via unetbootin but the
16 > backlight behavior is the same as with Gentoo.  Please let me know if
17 > anyone has any ideas on this.
18 >
19 > - Grant
22 Grant,
23 Sorry I missed this thread earlier. I've got an Asus 17" laptop
24 that I've been trying unsuccessfully to get the keyboard backlighting
25 to work correctly for weeks (maybe months - I no longer remember how
26 long) On my machine I get keyboard backlighting when I boot the
27 machine, but if I turn off the lights with the switch on the machine I
28 cannot so far turn them back on by any means.
29
30 On this machine xbacklight -get responds that nothing has backlight
31 properties so I've clearly got some configuration issues.
32
33 As for the kernel I'm using vanilla-sources-3.2.10 so I don't think
34 there's a lot that is newer than that.
35
36 I don't care much about screen backlighting but keyboard
37 backlighting is important to me.
38
39 - Mark