From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Resetting the root passwd
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 23:03:12
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 16:07:41 -0500
3 > Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On 2012-01-11 3:56 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
6 >>> On Wed, 11 Jan 2012 11:04:01 -0500
7 >>> Tanstaafl<tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> wrote:
8 >>>> http://passwordmaker.org/
9 >>>>
10 >>>
11 >>> I haven't read the site yet, but just on the basis of your
12 >>> description, all I'm seeing is a teeny-weeny amount of entropy
13 >>> leading to passwords that are very easy for computers to compute.
14 >>>
15 >>> The algorithm is probably known and there can't be that many unique
16 >>> attributes to a URL, leading to a very small pool of random data.
17 >>>
18 >>> In fact, I see this as a distinct possibility:
19 >>> http://xkcd.com/936/
20 >>>
21 >>> Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
22 >>
23 >> You are wrong, but you'll need to read the site to learn why...
24 >
25 > The site doesn't say much. It has one page, no internal links (quite a
26 > few external ones) and a single link to an image.
27 >
28 > But still, one can infer some of the methods of operation. There's a
29 > master password and a few bits of easily guessable[1] entropy in the
30 > additional data the user can configure.
31 >
32 > It has one weakness that reduces it back to the same password being
33 > re-used. And that is that there is a single master password. An
34 > attacker would simply need to acquire that using various nefarious
35 > means (shoulder surfing, social engineering, hosepipe decryption) and
36 > suddenly you are wide open[2].
37
38 I would expect it to use a strong forward-only hash. I can't do that in
39 my head, but that's what I'd expect this software to do. A MITM between
40 the computer and the remote host should only result in a single password
41 lost.
44 > I don't see that it increases cryptographic security by very much (it
45 > does by a little) but it will increase real-life effective security by
46 > a lot. It removes most of the threat from shoulder-surfing and
47 > StickyNoteSyndrome (much like ssh agents do too). In a corporate
48 > environment[3], that is the major threat we face, the onbe that keeps
49 > me awake at night, the one ignored by all security auditors and the one
50 > understood by a mere three people in the company... :-(
51
52 I was convinced you completely missed the point, but I think you found
53 it here.
56 > [1] Easily guessable by a computer
57 > [2] I have my paranoia hat on currently
58 > [3] for example, mine
61 I'm seriously unconvinced that concatenating words significantly
62 increases the difficulty of the problem. Just as a mentalist will
63 presume you're thinking about '7', your average demographic would
64 probably draw from a small pool of source words, even latching on to
65 catchphrases and other memes. You're likely to see "steamingmonkeypile",
66 "nyanyanyan", "dontsaycandleja-" and "hasturhasturhast-" used more than
67 once, for example. I'd give a better list of likely results, but I don't
68 want to run too far afoul of good taste in public posting. :)