From: Simon Thelen <gentoo-user@××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Youtube-dl and file time stamps.
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2020 22:48:38
1 [2020-07-15 17:30] Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
2 >Howdy,
3 Hi,
4
5 >I'm not sure what causes this because it doesn't always do this.  When I
6 >use youtube-dl to download videos, it sometimes uses the current date and
7 >time for the time stamp.  I like that because I can sort by date and see
8 >new videos.  On some sites tho it seems to use the time stamp of the file
9 >on the server I am downloading from not when it was put on my system.
10 >Sometimes I download a video and it may have a time stamp of years ago,
11 >decades sometimes.  I looked through the help page but can't find a option
12 >to tell it to use local time instead of the time from the remote server
13 >file.  Needless to say, when it does this, I can't tell which videos I
14 >recently downloaded since sorting by time stamps is no longer accurate.
15 >It's annoying.
16 >
17 >Has anyone else noticed this behavior? Is there a way to tell it to stop
18 >setting it to really old time stamps?  Some option that isn't documented
19 >maybe.
20 You're probably looking for the --no-mtime option. Depending on what
21 you're using to sort your local videos you can always just tell it to
22 sort by ctime instead of the (probably) default mtime. Several other
23 file download programs set the mtime to the last-modified header or
24 similar, but they tend not to touch the ctime.
27 Simon Thelen