From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Simple replacement for "getmail"?
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 05:03:03
1 I've been using "getmail" for years to pull down email from multiple
2 popmail accounts and pass the emails to procmail for processing. It's
3 being masked because of hard-coded python 2.7 dependancy. "fetchmail"
4 looks promising. The stable version net-mail/fetchmail-6.4.1 also
5 requires python 2.7 *IF THE "tk" FLAG IS SET*.
6
7 PYTHON_COMPAT=( python2_7 )
8 PYTHON_REQ_USE="tk"
9
10 Version 6.4.6 says...
11
12 PYTHON_COMPAT=( python3_{6,7,8} )
13 PYTHON_REQ_USE="tk"
14
15 ...and agin it seems to only be required if built with "tk" flag. Once
16 fetchmail version 6.4.6 is marked stable, python should not be a problem,
17 and I don't expect to build with the "tk" flag anyways.
18
19 Would "fetchmail" work as a drop-in replacement for getmail here? Are
20 there any better, simpler solutions?
23 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
24 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications