From: Peter Alfredsen <peter.alfredsen@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Make portage assume, that a package is installed
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 07:48:56
1 On Friday 15 June 2007, Alexander Skwar wrote:
2 > Good morning!
3 >
4 > On my system, I don't use a modem and don't intend to ever
5 > do so. Because of this, I did not install net-dialup/ppp.
6 > But I'd now like to install kde-base/kde-meta, which will
7 > pull in kde-base/kdenetwork-meta, which will pull in kde-base/kppp
8 > and this will finally pull in net-dialup/ppp.
9 >
10 > Can I now make it somehow so, that I am able to install kdenetwork-meta,
11 > but NOT install kppp & ppp?
12 >
13 > In the documentation at
14 > <http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3&chap=5> and
15 > in man portage at <http://gentoo-wiki.com/MAN_Portage>, I read, that I
16 > might be able to use the package.provided file. But according to the man
17 > page, it is located in the profile directory (/etc/make.profile). I'd
18 > rather NOT fiddle with files in such a directory.
19 >
20 > So I tried to create the file in /etc/portage. Contents:
21 >
22 > --($:~)-- cat /etc/portage/package.provided
23 > kde-base/kppp-3.5.7
24 > net-dialup/ppp-2.4.4-r8
25 [...]
26 > Obviously, I'm doing something wrong.
27 >
28 > How do I do it right?
29
30 See:
31 http://marc.info/?l=gentoo-user&m=114173922424811&w=2
32 Basically:
33 mkdir /etc/portage/profile
34 cp /etc/portage/package.provided /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
35
36 Try it.
37
38 You might want to leave out the version numbers from kppp and ppp (Think of
39 what happens when kppp 3.5.8 comes out or when ppp-2.4.4-r9 comes out).
42 /PA
43 --
44 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list