From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: going from systemd to udev
Date: Sat, 08 Feb 2014 01:39:08
1 On 02/07/2014 04:43 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 5:25 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On 02/07/2014 02:32 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
4 >>> Your seat seems to be the owner of both the power buttons and USB
5 >>> devices, so you should not be asked for a password when powering down
6 >>> the machine (unless another user or root is logged in, for example by
7 >>> ssh), nor when using a USB stick.
8 >>>
9 >>> I repeat my question (if you already answered I apologize), do you
10 >>> have systemd emerged with the policykit USE flag?
11 >>
12 >> Well, I know more now but understand less :) I recompiled both systemd
13 >> and polkit and they both have the correct useflags.
14 >>
15 >> After rebooting I looked at /run/systemd/seesions/1 and I'm now "ACTIVE".
16 >>
17 >> But next I startx (into xfce4) and look again:
18 >>
19 >> $cat /run/systemd/sessions/1
20 >> # This is private data. Do not parse.
21 >> UID=1001
22 >> USER=wa1ter
23 >> ACTIVE=0 <=================== not active
24
25 > This is a known problem (or at least I heard something similar
26 > before). You start your session when you log in, but then with startx,
27 > that is lost in some cases because, technically, a VT session is
28 > different from a X11 session (Wayland will take care of this, and many
29 > other things). When you start your DE with gdm or lightdm, this
30 > doesn't happen, because they talk to systemd (logind, actually) so
31 > your session gets transferred to the X11 one. Supposedly, the Xfce
32 > session manager (via startxfce4) has support for this, but only if
33 > compiled with --enable-systemd, which is in turn supported by our
34 > ebuilds.
35 >
36 > So, a couple of questions:
37 >
38 > • Do you compiled xfce4-session with the systemd USE flag?
39 > • What do you have in $HOME/.xinitrc? I *think* it should just be
40 > "exec startxfce4", if you used the systemd USE flag.
41
42 #eix xfce4-session
43 [I] xfce-base/xfce4-session
44 Available versions: 4.10.0-r1 4.10.1 {consolekit debug gnome-keyring policykit systemd udev +xscreensaver}
45 Installed versions: 4.10.1(08:17:51 AM 01/11/2014)(systemd udev -debug -xscreensaver)
46 Homepage: http://docs.xfce.org/xfce/xfce4-session/start
49 $grep xfce .xinitrc
50 exec startxfce4
51
52 I follow several major linux distros as VirtualBox guests, and the only one
53 that doesn't force the use of a display manager is arch linux, so I use
54 startx on arch and I still see ACTIVE=1 in gnome3, cinnamon, etc.
55
56 I'll try to debug this over the weekend when I'm more awake :)
57
58 Thanks Canek.