From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Wow, the GTK3 file browser is awful!
Date: Mon, 22 May 2017 19:51:12
1 On 2017-05-22, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 22 May 2017 18:33:47 Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> Having just recently allowed Firefox to upgrade from 45 to 52, I'm now
4 >> hobbled with the GTK3 file browser dialog.
5 >>
6 >> It's horrible.
7 >>
8 >> First of all, it's freaking _huge_! It wastes acres of display
9 >> real-estate. It was obviously designed by a megalomaniac who thinks
10 >> your computer belongs to him, and that while his filebrowser code is
11 >> running, nothing else must be visible.
12 >
13 > Hmm ... I haven't noticed this here.
14
15 Interesting. It seems to open using the same size it was last time it
16 was closed. I'm not sure why somebody thinks that's a good idea,
17 either.
18
19 >> I used to be able to just start typing a path. Now, that triggeres
20 >> some bizzarre "search" feature that shows a spinner for a minutes at a
21 >> time shows a long list of files I don't care about.
22 >
23 > You can go to Edit/Preferences/Advanced and deselect 'Search for text when I
24 > start typing'
25
26 That's something different. That controls searching the content of
27 pages. I'm talking about entering a path in the filebrowser. You
28 used to be able to click on a "browse" button to upload a file and
29 then type a path.
32 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! You were s'posed
33 at to laugh!
34 gmail.com