From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Autofs or ivman?
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 03:33:36
1 On Thursday 17 January 2008 10:08:22 pm Stroller wrote:
2 > Sorry for taking so long to reply to this - I've been kinda busy with
3 > work the last few days.
4 >
5 > On 6 Jan 2008, at 17:25, Alan McKinnon wrote:
6 > > On Sunday 06 January 2008, Stroller wrote:
7 > >> Hi there,
8 > >>
9 > >> I was on #gentoo yesterday asking about autofs & someone recommended
10 > >> ivman instead.
11 > >> Which does gentoo-users think I should use?
12 > >
13 > > Dilemmas like this are best resolved by finding out what problem a
14 > > technology was designed to solve.
15 > >
16 > > A good example of the kind of problem autofs solves is exporting home
17 > > directories on a large server that has many accounts...
18 > >
19 > > ... With autofs you essentially tell the server
20 > > that this is user joe, it exports his home dir on the fly, creates a
21 > > directory /home/joe on his workstation (/home must already exist)and
22 > > mounts the NFS export there.
23 > >
24 > > Now, you don't appear to be doing something like that :-)
25 >
26 > Many thanks for your reply - it was quite insightful. In fact, autofs
27 > would be quite useful for my /mnt/video/[a...z] volumes.
28 >
29 > It makes me still wonder, however, why so many people seem to use
30 > autofs for /mnt/floppy, /mnt/cdrom &c, tho'!
31 >
32 > > ... the impetus for other solutions
33 > > to be developed, like ivman.
34 >
35 > My concern over ivman - which looks ideal for much of what I want to
36 > do - is that it's not clear if it's maintained. For network mounting /
37 > usr/portage I guess I can just use NFS and just stick the mount in
38 > the clients' /etc/fstab, but ivman looks great for automounting
39 > portable media. As I said in my original posting [1], the state of
40 > ivman looks to be in a bit of a mess and I'm kinda reluctant to mess
41 > about with it if it's going to be obsolete in a year or two - someone
42 > please persuade me this isn't going to happen!! ;)
43 >
44 > Stroller.
47 > [1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.user/192551
48
49 I use autofs for just about everything imagineable... What's the problem with
50 using it for removable media?
56 From the Desk of: Jerome D. McBride
57 --
58 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list