From: Richard Marza <richardmarzan@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Blocking login attempts to sshd and vsftpd
Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2009 02:04:40
1 ----- Original Message -----
2 From: "Alan McKinnon" <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
3 To: <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
4 Sent: Saturday, November 14, 2009 5:42 PM
5 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Blocking login attempts to sshd and vsftpd
8 > On Saturday 14 November 2009 23:49:23 Richard Marza wrote:
9 >> I recently check my log files and discovered that there was a dictionary
10 >> attack attempt on my daemons. sshd and vsftpd were the primary targets.
11 >> Is
12 >> there a script or tool to block the offending IP addresses using
13 >> iptables.
14 >> Something that checks to see if a minimum of attempts has occured and
15 >> blocks them indefinitely based on that?
18 > There are HUNDREDS of such solutions out there. Did you even try to Google
19 > first?
20 >
21 > fail2ban & denyhosts are quite popular and get the job done.
22 >
23 > OSSEC is a full blown IDS that I use at work, it functions very well but
24 > is
25 > probably overkill for your needs.
26 >
27 > Last hint: You do NOT want to block hosts permanently. Your logs will
28 > empty
29 > sure enough, but sooner or later you will lock yourself out, or you will
30 > lock
31 > out people you really do want to access your services.
32 >
33 > --
34 > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
38 Thank you for the information, I did find that denyhost and fail2ban in
39 threads but there were issues with it not working properly. Some users
40 created custom scripts to get the job done correctly. I did try google. I
41 guess it's no longer my friend. Will try to use another search engine next
42 time.