From: John Runyon <me@×××.im>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] blocking facebook
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 06:16:41
1 I used to volunteer at the local high school. They would redirect both http and https through their content filter (I'm not sure how they worked around SSL warnings exactly - maybe just a wildcard certificate for *? I know it was signed by a CA they had generated and installed on every school computer).
2
3 Other than that the best you can hope for is preventing DNS from resolving it. Add to dnsmasq options on your router "-A /facebook.com/fbcdn.net/".
4
5 -A: Specify an IP address to return for any host in the given domains. Queries in the domains are never forwarded and always replied to with the specified IP address which may be IPv4 or IPv6.
6 ...
7 one or more domains with no address returns a no-such-domain answer, so --address=/example.com/ is equivalent to --server=/example.com/ and returns NXDOMAIN for example.com and all its subdomains.
8
9 -John
10 Sent from my phone
11