From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd installation location
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2013 06:50:19
1 On 30/09/2013 08:24, pk wrote:
2 > So what you're saying is that everything in /usr is system-critical? I
3 > have gimp installed in /usr... I don't see a need to start gimp at boot
4 > time. Maybe we should classify frozen-bubble as system-critical as well
5 > (it's also in /usr)?
6 >
7 > Seriously, boot-critical would be something that the system cannot *boot
8 > without*, which belongs in /. Everything else should be in /usr, i.e.
9 > non-boot-critical. How hard is it to start *non-boot* (system) critical
10 > *after* boot (things like sshd)? I do that today...
11
12 That is over-simplifying the problem and trivializing it. No-one ever
13 said the *everythign* in /usr is criticial for boot.
14
15 This is the problem:
16
17 a. There exists code used at boot and early-user space time. It is
18 critical that this code is available when needed.
19 b. One cannot predict with absolute certainty 100% of the time what
20 exactly that critical code is.
21 c. many reasonable setups turn out to have such critical code in /usr,
22 and this cannot be reliably predicted in advance
23
24 Your second paragraph reveals that you beleive you already know
25 everything you need to have to boot your system. Now do the same for
26 every possible Gentoo user out there and have it work 100% of the time
27 in ALL valid cases.
28
29 Do you now see the problem and the fulls cope and impact of it?
33 Alan McKinnon
34 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com