From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Strange network behaviour: NIC goes down, DHCP lease renewal fails (WORKED AROUND)
Date: Fri, 06 Mar 2015 20:57:51
1 On 03/06/2015 11:57 AM, Marc Joliet wrote:
2 >> I wasn't aware you had e1000e hardware - those are about as reliable as
3 >> they come. I've used many of them and never had the slightest trouble at
4 >> all. By all means study up on firmware and driver options - if you don;t
5 >> know much about that area it's very illuminating to find out more. But
6 >> based on experience I'd say the chances of finding an oddity with e1000e
7 >> are slim, and I'd be looking at a misconfigured switch.
8 >
9 > That's pretty much what the sysadmin said, too, when I asked what he thought
10 > of the "power management issue" idea.
11 >
12 >> There are some strange switches out there that let you make crazy
13 >> configuration, like eg blanket drop all broadcast traffic on one or more
14 >> ports. That's where I'd be looking first.
15 >
16 > Yeah, that agrees with my instinct that it's most something to do with the
17 > switch.
20 Is the dhcp server virtualized using vmware? I've come across a very
21 strange issue where ESXi's e1000e driver is very buggy and caused random
22 disconnects to the virtual machine. This is strictly server side,
23 however, nothing to do with the client and/or switch.
24
25 I suspect that you probably aren't using ESXi, but figured I'd mention
26 it anyway. This happened (in my experience) with both Windows and Linux
27 guests on ESXi, and the only way to get around it was to use some other
28 driver for the virtual machines (like VMWare's vmnet3 driver.)
29
30 Dan