From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Heads-up: Several kernel versions have severe EXT4 data corruption bug
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 08:31:22
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 15:10:17 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Or just don't update the kernel until it is fixed. After all, if the
5 >> kernel you are using works and is not a serious security problem, just
6 >> use it for a while. They will fix it pretty soon I'm sure.
7 > Several versions are affected, it's not a new issue, just a newly
8 > discovered one. That in itself indicates the likelihood of being affected
9 > by it, considering how many boxes use ext4 with these kernel versions.
13 My point is, if you are using a version that is not affected, keep using
14 it, don't upgrade yet. I saw a list of the affected versions. Just
15 avoid those for now. Is it a perfect plan, of course not. It's better
16 than nothing tho. It's certainly better than using a known version with
17 this problem. If a person is using an affected version, then I would
18 reboot to another kernel that is not on the list.
19
20 Now if someone wants to keep using a known version that is affected,
21 that's their thing. Since I don't reboot much, it would likely not
22 affect me either way. Thing is, I'm not going to take the chance either
23 way. That is of course if the problem is what I read and not something
24 else all together. The problem seems to be a moving target since it is
25 not exactly known yet.
26
27 Either way, having the information is better than nothing. Avoiding the
28 affected versions is better than nothing. None of this may matter
29 depending on all sorts of things. Me, I'm going to stick with what I am
30 using, that's not on the affected list so far, and wait until whatever
31 version has a known fix. That's my plan for now, subject to change if
32 the situation changes.
33
34 Oh, going to cross fingers too. ;-)
35
36 Dale
37
41 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!