From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: sys-kernel/ck-sources - why should I use them?
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 19:16:15
1 On 04/20/2010 05:41 PM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > On 20 Apr, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >> On Dienstag 20 April 2010, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
4 >>> Hi,
5 >>>
6 >>> has anybody experience with these new sys-kernel/ck-sources?
7 >>> I could only see they have additional patches (in addition to those
8 >>> of gentoo-sources).
9 >>> But I didn't find which patches and why these have only been applied to
10 >>> ck-sources?
11 >>>
12 >>> Thanks for your opinion,
13 >>> Helmut.
14 >>
15 >> if you have more than 2 cores, you shouldn't use them ;)
16 >
17 > Why, it's said to scale well up to 16 cores (at least)?
18
19 It's practically *made* for 2 and 4 cores. Single core enhancements
20 were added later.
21
22 Volker's recommendations is based on his own tests with the patches.
23 I'm on a dual core Intel E6600 and the patches help a big deal to keep
24 the GUI responsive and fluid.
25
26 Also note that there's much hate and fanboy-ism around this issue.
27 Expect people telling you how this is crap, or how the default Linux
28 scheduler is crap, etc, without them really having a clue what they're
29 talking about. (I am *not* referring to Volker here, mind you.)