From: Ian Zimmerman <itz@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Why is PS1 (the console prompt) different for the root user?
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2017 20:02:25
1 On 2017-06-10 09:12, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
2
3 > I noticed that the root prompt does not include the full path of the
4 > current directory.
5
6 > ...
7
8 > So for users, I can see where I am ("/usr/bin"). For root, I cannot. It
9 > just says "bin".
10
11 > ...
12
13 > Is there a rationale for this?
14
15 One guess: when you're a normal user, you're likely to be in an X
16 terminal emulator, and probably a fancy toolkit based one too. That
17 makes overflowing lines less of a problem than on a bare 80x25 console
18 which may be all you can work with as root, especially in an emergency.
19
20 But then, I may be making up a rationale when there is really none and
21 it's all just a historical accident, as Alan says.
24 Please *no* private Cc: on mailing lists and newsgroups
25 Personal signed mail: please _encrypt_ and sign
26 Don't clear-text sign:
27 http://primate.net/~itz/blog/the-problem-with-gpg-signatures.html