From: Richard Watson <waty@×××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using tar to backup my system
Date: Fri, 04 Nov 2005 06:55:49
1 On Thu, 2005-11-03 at 19:41 -0500, Dave Nebinger wrote:
2 > I guess really what I'm saying is no, it is not a good idea. There's plenty
3 > of other backup solutions out there that would work better than this scheme.
4 > If you have a server and space for the file, rsync would even be a better
5 > solution.
6
7 I'm going to try something I found on the Gentoo Wiki:
8
9 # emerge netcat
10
11 Remote machine runs
12 # nc -l -p 10000 > image.gz
13
14 Machine I'm backing up:
15 # dd if=/dev/hda1 | gzip | nc -w 5 remote_ip 10000
16
17 What do you think? I'm a bit puzzled by rsync at the moment so this
18 seems to be a simple short term fix. Thanks, Richard
24 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list