From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Blocking a domain instead of an IP with ufw
Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2015 09:48:39
1 On 01/08/2015 11:21, Meino.Cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > With ufw I want temporary block any access from my Gentoo PC to certain
5 > domains. Since domain names change IP addresses I dont want to block
6 > on base of the IP only.
7 >
8 > Is this possible with ufw?
11 That is really not a good idea, which is why packet filtering firewalls
12 seldom attempt it.
13
14 It means that *every*single*packet* involves a reverse DNS lookup to get
15 the (unreliable) DNS name (which might not even be listed at all), do a
16 string comparison and make a block decision based on that. All of which
17 is probably an order of magnitude more resource use that simply sending
18 the packet out. There are optimizations of course, such as caching the
19 results of previous lookups, but there's still a considerable overhead.
20
21 There's a few ways around it:
22
23 1. Rethink your firewalling policy. Maybe you really don't need to block
24 stuff and just think you do.
25
26 2. Do a DNS lookup and check the TTL. If it's high, say 86400 then it
27 cannot change more than once a day. So you only need to do a lookup once
28 a day. Write or get a script that looks up your banned domains every so
29 often, gets the new IP if it changed and reload a new netfilter rule set.
30
31 #2 is the correct approach for large firewalls with many users but does
32 involves a quite sophisticated codebase, probably way more than you need
33 for your 1 pc. Which brings us back to #1
36 Alan McKinnon
37 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com