From: Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Good/better/best filesystem for large, static video library?
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 13:59:05
1 Am 27.12.2012 01:18, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > On Tue, 25 Dec 2012 07:41:01 -0800
3 > Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Hi,
6 >> Merry Christmas to all.
7 >>
8 >> Upgrading an external USB2 drive at home this Christmas morning to
9 >> 1TB for more video storage space. One large partition, non-raid, files
10 >> are around 1GB. The drive holds only static video files that get
11 >> written once and don't change or get erased. No MythTV stuff or
12 >> anything like that.
13 >>
14 >> This disk reside on my main desktop machine and gets backed up
15 >> every couple of days to another USB2 drive (FAT formatted
16 >> unfortunately) which attaches to the TV.
17 >>
18 >> With the previous local drive I used ext3 and have had no problems.
19 >> I'm just wondering if there's a better choice & why.
22 > I am *very* impressed with ZFS for this. Yes, I know, it's not really
23 > there on Linux - I use it on FreeBSD (FreeNAS).
24 >
25 > It has everything I've wanted in a filesystem for a long time, and all
26 > the crap I've stuffed into my head over many years related to storage
27 > just goes away. It doesn't go to some place I don't have to deal with
28 > it, it just ceases to exist. Very nice.
29 >
30 > There is no more weird partitions from the days of DOS, no PV/VG/LV to
31 > remember the details of. There is only storage and ZFS knows what I
32 > want to happen with each "chunk" of it. A "chunk" (my term) in this
33 > context is a directory and everything below it.
34 >
35 > ZFS doesn't have partitions and filesystems. It has volumes. A volume
36 > is sort of a cross between a filesystem (you mount it and can assign
37 > quotas to it) and a directory (you assign permissions and ownerships to
38 > it). You can overcommit storage space and quotas - you do not get "disk
39 > full" errors and three days of nightmares while you figure out how to
40 > deal with this. the FS just tells you it used more than the allocated
41 > space and keeps telling you till you get it under the limit.
42 >
43 > mv'ing a few TB of video to a different FS to free up space is not fun
44 > at all, but with ZFS it's like an mv on the same FS (that volume thing
45 > again). It checksums every write and lets you know if things fail. It
46 > has proper snapshots built in - that's proper as in copy-on-write so
47 > they don't really take up space until you start modifying files. Your
48 > media collection is like mine - I only add to it and seldom delete, so
49 > I have months of snapshots that consume about 1% extras space. Dale's
50 > rm problem cannot happen to me anymore hehehehe ;-)
51 >
52 > In summary, it does everything I want and does it well. It can also do
53 > other things I don't want but others might (eg de-dupe).
57 I am a big fan of zfs myself. I use zfsonlinx on my workstation (only
58 /usr/portage and /usr/src atm, but with on-the-fly compression, very
59 nice on my small SSD). Unfortunately the zfs implementation is a few
60 large steps behind zfs on *bsd
61
62 Migrating my NAS to ZFS is something that has been floating around my
63 head for a longer time. But I am not really sure if I want to switch
64 from gentoo to FreeBSD on my NAS. zfsonlinux is there, but it's first
65 release was early 2011, so it's still pretty young. I guess for the time
66 being I stick to an old credo: never touch a running system