From: Todd Goodman <tsg@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT - More Router Advice] Cheap Router with decent/reliable VLAN support
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 22:10:45
1 * Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org> [110528 12:43]:
2 > After seeing an older thread asking about a router, I figured I'd ask my
3 > own question...
4 >
5 > I'm looking for a cheap but reliable router that has decent and SIMPLE
6 > way to add VLANs (I'm not a CISCO guy and don't want to have to become
7 > one)...
8 >
9 > Specifically, I want to have one VLAN that my wireless access points are
10 > plugged into, to provide ONLY internet access, and then a separate VLAN
11 > for my internal network...
12 >
13 > This is to protect my internal net from any potentially infected
14 > machines that are on the wireless access points (I routinely work on
15 > infected computers for friends/family, so, I need internet access, but
16 > want them isolated from my internal network).
17 >
18 > Anyone? Will one of the FLOSS builds for the cheap Cable/DSL routers
19 > support VLANs on the different built-in router ports (ie, Tomato, DD-WRT
20 > or OpenWRT)?
21 >
22 > Looking forward to any suggestions/ideas...
23
24 Hi, I'm pretty sure OpenWRT supports VLANs.
25
26 I started using it on a Buffalo WHR-G300N (I think, not at home to check
27 right now.) Cheap and I didn't expect much but it works great (far
28 better than any Linksys or trendnet products I've purchased and run
29 their firmware on.)
30
31 I'd highly recommend it.
32